Saturday, March 14, 2009

A little bit about teaching the kids piano lessons


I took Justin and Ethan out to Orem today to participate in "Festival". They play two memorized songs for some other local teachers, then are given a score based on how well they did. Over a few years' time, their combined points allow them to earn trophies. Anyway, they did a great job. They seemed really proud of how they performed, and I was happy with how they did too! I am also excited about what comes next. Ethan and Lindsey are pretty easy to please, but I looked through my books today in order to find some songs that Justin would like. He picks up on songs really quickly, but I have a hard time finding songs that he gets excited about. I found some great songs today and showed them to him, but he didn't give me any encouragement like, "Oh, Mom, I love that song! Let me have it right now!" or "Wow! I am so glad that you are teaching me! You are really thinking about me and what I will like. Thanks!" No, I didn't get any of that. Maybe someday . . .


Lindsey has been so cute the past few weeks. She has been doing two or three official practice sessions a day, and has spent a good 15-20 minutes aside from that just tinkering. A few weeks ago, she announced that she had written a song. She plays it all the time and sings her original lyrics, "I can be like God if I try." It is pretty cute - makes me tear up when I hear her little voice in the piano room singing.


Ethan picked up on the fact that Lindsey is passing off a lot of songs, realized that he wasn't far from finishing his current level of books, and has kicked into a higher gear this past week. What a cute boy. :) I love seeing our kids play the piano! I unashamedly bribe them to practice with piano treats, they earn money for passing off songs, we give them a little money if they are nice during their lesson time, and they earn even more money if they come to me and ask for a lesson.


I really want this to work. When Justin has complained about piano lessons, I have told him that he can either take lessons from me, or he can take them from another teacher. The truth is though, I don't know if I could send them to anyone else! I really enjoy the one-on-one time with them. I need to remind myself of that during our next lesson time when he is giving me a hard time. :)

4 comments:

Dad Lewis said...

Very sweet. I really appreciate the update on piano lessons in the Blake family. I wish there were a recording of Lindsey's song. Maybe she could call us on the telephone sometime and sing and play it for me.

Katrina said...

You're Kids are so cute! I am glad they are better students at the piano than I was...

Emilie said...

You were fine, and definately easier to deal with then one of our kids! :)

kimberly said...

As I read this I was reminded that Alyssa was Lindsey's age when she first took from you. Time sure flies.