I thought it was probably time to write a little update. We finished up with the three kids’ soccer seasons last week – which was sad to me. I love autumn, and it was so nice to be outside, to be with neighbors and family, and to be able to enjoy such beautiful weather while the kids got some exercise. Yay for the city recreation program! We also got to have Scott’s parents here with us Friday night, so they watched Lindsey’s last soccer game with us, then we enjoyed the BYU football game – well, some of us only really enjoyed the first two quarters when BYU was really thumping their opponent, but that is okay. Hopefully BYU will pop back with some energy tomorrow!
I LOVED conference weekend. As the economy has looked more and more precarious this week, I have been so grateful for the words of faith and peace that the brethren shared with us. I especially appreciated the words by Jeffrey Holland – I am paraphrasing a bit – that the latter days are not a time to fear and tremble, but a time to be faithful. As we prepare spiritually and temporally, then we do not need to fear. I have been so grateful for our ward’s emphasis on getting a year’s supply this year. We still have some work to do, but it feels so good to have our own little mini-welfare square in our basement. If anything happens, we can subsist on our unleavened wheat biscuits and refried beans for months! Yum! Hey, you did that for two years, didn’t you, David? ;) Oh, and Andrew is doing that right now! Maybe they eat better in Brazil though, because I have been to Tucanos, and their food is delicious.
Halloween is coming! I put some butcher paper ghosts up in our windows like Mom used to do (they are so cute!), and Scott helped the kids get the other decorations down last week. This time of year is so fun! It makes me want to be in the kitchen – to be able to look out the window and see our beautiful fall-colored mountains while I am baking something yummy and warm. Mmmmm. I am trying to figure out how we can not spend any money on Halloween costumes this year. Doesn’t that seem like a worthy goal? We have had a few too many years where we go down to Partyland in Springville, the kids will pick out a $30 or $40 costume, and then they won’t touch the non-refundable thing once we get home. No more of that! By the way, does anyone need a Boys’ size 8 Batman muscle costume? Staci? Matthew?
3 comments:
Em, I have oodles of costumes that you are welcome to come and look at. Just give me a call!
Juat re-read this post and an laughing all over the place. You are so funny!
Wheat biscuits without leavening? How about store some baking powder and then they can be puffy. :)
Baking powder? Oh . . . :)
Post a Comment