School started a little over three weeks ago. It finally feels like we are getting into a routine, and it is nice to have some one-on-one time with Adam and Garrett. I have had some mixed feelings about sending the kids back to school though. I enjoy having them around during the day. I like knowing who they are associating with, and I like knowing what they are doing and saying. You send them off to school and all of a sudden you have no idea what they are doing 6 ½ hours of the day! They are pretty cute though to answer my questions about who they play with at recess, what they like about their teachers, which specialist they visited during the day (computers, art, music, library, etc.).
A big huge positive about the school year is the kids’ teachers. When we went to register the kids in July, I was so excited to see that all of them had received the teachers I requested! In our six years here at Canyon, this is the first time that has happened. A friend of mine suggested that when I write down the reason for the request, I really take some time and come up with some good reasons, so I did, and then we also have a new principal this year and he seems to want parents to be happy. So, the happy thing is that I can enjoy the kids while they are home, and I know that they all have kind, nurturing teachers to hang out with during the day! Hooray!
It isn’t my first instinct to request teachers. Part of me asks myself what makes our kids so much more important than everyone else’s kids. But guess what! When I haven’t requested teachers for the kids, I feel like I have been burned because everyone else requests the experienced, kind teachers. One of the kids has had a first year teacher who had absolutely no control over the classroom, and the next year he had an intern who was so grumpy with them. Anyway, I will never again leave their elementary school teachers to chance.
I have heard my neighbor say a couple of times that it is nice if the kids learn something during the year, but she just wants a teacher who will be kind to her children. I agree. I would much rather have my kids in an environment where they felt accepted and loved than have them in an environment where they were learning their times tables but felt unappreciated and picked on.
No comments:
Post a Comment