Monday, September 14, 2009

Deep thoughts by Emilie :)

I have been thinking a lot lately about relationships. I am probably a little naïve and don’t get out socially a lot, but I have been so impressed with this neighborhood since we have lived here. Out of all the places we have lived, this is the place where I have heard the least amount of gossip and backbiting. I hope that part of it might be me. I think I have learned a few things over the past few years. I have learned that it feels really, really good to think the best of others. I remember a conversation I had a few years ago where I was worried about what some people might possibly be thinking or saying about me. The person I was talking to gave me some great advice: just go into that situation imagining the best. Assume that they are saying and thinking nice things.

There is power in thinking the best of others. None of us always function at 100%, so I would hope that as I forgive and accept others’ actions, others would also give me the benefit of the doubt. I have heard a friend say a few times that a person was doing their best. That phrase is liberating. If we assume that others are giving the best effort that they can give, then we don’t harbor negative feelings and we learn to love people the way that God loves us. Wow! With all my weaknesses, I am so grateful for Heavenly Father and Christ’s unconditional love for me. I owe it to them to love others in that very same way. That is why I am here. Yes, I needed a physical body, but really, I am here to learn to love others.

There were a couple of times over the summer where I listened to some neighborhood gossip. I didn’t bring it on, but I was so frustrated that I hadn’t defended the person being talked about. I came home and decided that I needed to come up with something to say when that situation arises again. I am so grateful to realize that I want to feel at peace about others. We have such a merciful Father who helps us recognize things we need to work on. There are times when I need to vent about a frustration I have with someone, but it seems like there is a way you can do that without it being gossip. Maybe I only vent to one trusted person, and maybe I recognize that even though I am frustrated, the only person I can change is myself? Anyway, something to think about.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Good thoughts! What was the phrase that you came up with to say?